Homes, condos and land for sale and rent in Westchester, LA
It is the home of Loyola Marymount University, the Otis College of Art and Design, and Westchester Enriched Sciences Magnet Schools, formerly Westchester High School. Two notable examples of Googie-style architecture are located within the community. The Los Angeles International Airport takes up the southwestern portion of Westchester territory.
In 2010 whites made up 61.1% of the population, blacks were at 14.2%, Asians at 12.0%, Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander 0.3%, and others (including two or more races) at 11.9%. Those who identified themselves as Hispanic or Latino (of any race) were 18.2%.
In 2010, the mean family income (dollars) for the area was $135,026 and the median family income (dollars) was $106,302, both numbers high for the city. The percentages of families that earned more than $100,000 a year was 53.5%. Renters occupied 48.2% of the housing units, and homeowners occupied the rest. The average household size was 2.3 people, considered low for the city and county. The percentages of divorced men (8.6%) and divorced women (11.9%) were among the county’s highest.
The 2,000 census counted 3,055 military veterans, 9.2% of the population, considered a high percentage for the city of Los Angeles but about average for the county.
The main neighborhood’s boundary lines are, generally, on the east: north-south on La Cienega Boulevard or the Inglewood city line; on the south: east-west on the city boundary with El Segundo or Imperial Highway; on the west: north-south on Pershing Drive and Westchester Parkway, then roughly north-south on a series of residential streets west of Westchester High School to the Playa Vista neighborhood.
About 51.7% of Westchester’s residents had completed a bachelor’s degree or higher by 2010, a high figure when compared with the city and the county at large. The percentage of the residents who held a master’s degree or a doctorate was high for the county.
- Loyola Marymount University, 1 LMU Drive
- Otis College of Art and Design, 9045 Lincoln Boulevard
- Pepperdine University West Los Angeles Campus, 6100 Center Drive
Secondary and elementary schools:
- Westchester Enriched Sciences Magnet Schools, LAUSD secondary, 2400 West Manchester Avenue
- The Incubator School, LAUSD, 7400 West Manchester Avenue
- Westchester-Emerson Community Adult School, LAUSD, 8810 Emerson Avenue
- Carousel, private K-12 special education, 7899 La Tijera Boulevard
- Carousel–Airport Boulevard, private K-12, 8333 Airport Boulevard
- Orville Wright Middle School, 6550 West 80th Street
- St. Jerome Elementary School, private, 5580 Thornburn Street
- Cowan Avenue Elementary School, LAUSD, 7615 Cowan Avenue
- Westchester Lutheran School, private, 7831 Sepulveda Boulevard
- Open Charter Magnet School, LAUSD, 5540 West 77th Street
- Westport Heights Elementary School, LAUSD, 6011 West 79th Street
- Kentwood Elementary School, LAUSD, 8401 Emerson Street
- St. Anastasia Elementary School, private, 8631 South Stanmoor Drive
- Visitation Elementary School, private, 8740 South Emerson Avenue
- Loyola Village Elementary School, LAUSD, 8821 Villanova Avenue